This page contains affiliate links. This means that we may get a small commission for recommending products, if you choose to click on something and buy it. This does not cost you anything, but we wanted to be honest and let you know!(Last Updated On: April 10, 2022)
Like most anglers, when out in nature, you want to fish should the occasion arise, and a backpacking fishing pole will allow you to do just that.
Being a lightweight, budget-friendly, and telescopic fishing rod, the PLUSINNO Fishing Rod is our favorite rod to take along on any backpacking trip.
With a rod that collapses to just inches and is easy to carry, you will never miss the opportunity to spend time fishing for dinner while backpacking.
If you are new to the sport, there are several of the Best Fishing Rod And Reel Combo For Beginners in the form of starter kits that will get you going with everything you need.
We have chosen six of the best backpacking fishing poles that will suit your needs while out on the trail.
Table of Contents
- Backpacking Fishing Pole
- 6 Best Collapsible Backpacking Fishing Pole
- Number 1: PLUSINNO Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
- Number 2: Sougayilang Telescopic Fishing Rod
- Number 3: Okuma VS-605-20 Voyager Spinning Travel Kit
- Number 4: St. Croix Rods Mojo Trout Fly Fishing Rod
- Number 5: TROUTBOY Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
- Number 6: DRAGONtail Shadowfire 365 12′ Tenkara Fly Fishing Rod
- In Conclusion
Backpacking Fishing Pole
|Backpacking Fishing Pole||Special Feature||Rating|
|PLUSINNO||EVA handle on the rod||4.9|
|Sougayilang||Compact and lightweight||4.8|
|Okuma||Breaks down into five pieces||4.8|
|St. Croix||Premium, high-modulus SCII graphite||4.7|
|Troutboy||Non-slip comfort EVA knob||4.6|
|Dragontail||Collapses to less than 24 inches||4.6|
6 Best Collapsible Backpacking Fishing Pole
Number 1: PLUSINNO Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
While the Plusinno is budget-friendly, it is one of the better telescopic rods on the market. Designed to be compact and portable, the retractable design ensures that this rod is easy and convenient to carry with you as your go-to backpacking fishing pole.
The Plusinno has been made with a stainless steel frame and carbon oxide wireline guide. This makes it smoother and easier for the line outlet, an essential factor when angling for fish.
The stainless steel also makes this rod suitable for fishing in saltwater; stainless is resistant to corrosion. The Plusinno comes in four different sizes. All of the sizes will collapse into a 20-inch unit.
The sizes are:
- 5.91 ft
- 6.89 ft
- 7.87 ft
- 8.86 ft
- The EVA handle on the rod makes it soft and comfortable
- The handle is also anti-skid
- The HA 3000 reel provides a smooth line delivery
- Right/Left interchangeable handle
- Some users found the rod difficult to retract
- The rod can be somewhat stiff
Number 2: Sougayilang Telescopic Fishing Rod
The body of the Sougayilang rod is a graphite and fiberglass composite construction. This helps to make the pole sturdy while still being light in weight.
This pole also has multidirectional winding that ensures an even distribution of tension. The guide rings are corrosion-resistant and metallic construction that have porcelain inlets.
These smooth guides are ideal for using braided lines because they offer heat dissipation and friction reduction that can be a consideration with braided lines.
The reel seat has corrosion-resistant stainless steel hooded housing, which will be great for fresh or saltwater fishing. It makes for a great take-along backpacking fishing pole.
You should expect to have medium power and moderate action from this economy rod and reel.
- Compact and lightweight
- A complete fishing kit is also available
- Strong, yet light, graphite construction
- Adjustable butt section
- Pole can be hard to collapse
- The handle is not all that comfortable
If you are looking for a combo that will fit easily behind the seat of your car or truck or will even fit in the overhead of an airplane, the Okuma Voyager is the spinning travel kit that will fit the bill.
The kit includes a five-piece 6-foot medium-light rod and matching reel size 20. The reel is rated for a 4 to 8-pound test line. Constructed of graphite, this travel rod breaks down into 16-inch sections.
A quality cork handle provides comfort for hours of casting. Aluminum oxide guides give smooth performance. The reel has a front disc drag and a single ball bearing drive.
Included with this travel kit is a soft-sided padded case that has interior compartments for the rod, reel, and space for the tackle box that is also included.
The travel case has a handle and an adjustable shoulder strap which makes it convenient as a backpacking fishing pole,
- The reel is changeable right to left
- It breaks down into five pieces
- It comes with a travel case
- Many users feel this is a great starter kit for the price
- The locking system can get noisy with time
- The eyelets could use improvement
One of the best names in quality fly fishing rods, the St. Croix Mojo Trout, was introduced almost four years ago as part of a new series.
The same year, the American Sportfishing Association (ASA) awarded St. Croix rods with three “Best of Show” awards at the 2018 ICAST fishing industries annual trade show.
As the largest maker of fishing rods in North America, St. Croix prides itself on making one of the best trout fishing rods.
Built with the latest carbon fiber and composite technology, the high-modulus SCII graphite produces a lightweight, sensitive, and durable rod.
The Mojo Trout rod is ideal for beginners and intermediate anglers alike.
- Premium, high-modulus SCII graphite
- Kigan Master Hand 3D stripper guides with aluminum-oxide rings
- Uplocking, machined-aluminum reel seat
- Premium-grade cork handle
- Two coats of flex-Coat slow-cure finish
- While a quality product, the rod is pricey
Number 5: TROUTBOY Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
The combo is for medium to medium-heavy fast action in a telescopic rod. The rod is a graphite and fiberglass composite construction.
The Troutboy offers two different packages; one with and one without a reel. We looked at the package that had both rod and reel.
The fiberglass helps to keep the rod string, while the graphite makes the rod light and flexible. A stainless steel hooded seat over the reel makes this rod corrosion-resistant and suitable for saltwater fishing.
The gear ratio is 5.5:1, which is the same as most other comparable models. This rod and reel combo is ideal to take with you as your backpacking fishing pole.
- Great for beginners
- Double anodized aluminum spool
- Double shielded stainless steel ball bearings
- Non-slip comfort EVA knob
- It takes effort to collapse the rod
- The handle is a bit small
Tenkara fly fishing has been practiced for centuries and originated in Japan. To fish tenkara, you need a rod, furled line, tippet, and a fly.
After that, it is a matter of casting in the proper spot (more challenging than it might seem) and presenting the tenkara fly in a manner that makes the fish want to bite.
There is no reel with a tenkara fly fishing rod, so an angler needs to set the hook and lift the rod high into the air while bringing the fish towards your net.
The Shadowfire is a 12-foot Tenkara rod made from an IM 10 graphite that is lightweight yet strong.
Weighing in at about 3 ounces, this rod has a light balanced feel and a soft action. This rod is an excellent choice for small streams or rivers where the fish are less than 18 inches long.
- Camel double hump-shaped handle gives various grip options
- It comes with a carry case
- Universal and regular tip cap included
- Rod collapses to less than 24 inches
- Great for dry fly fishing but can be challenging to use with wet fly
When looking for a backpacking fishing pole, you are going to want a pole that will either telescope or collapse to less than two feet in length to make it easy to take along.
With the collapsable and lightweight backpacking fishing rods listed in this article, you will never miss an opportunity to participate in angling while out in Mother Nature.